Announcement

Let me know if you are linking this blog to your page and I will put a link to yours.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku o Ketsuishimashita

I know that I am supposed to write an article or read Nate Silver's the Signal and the Noise, but somehow I ended up reading this very interesting manga which title, translated to English, is "I, Who Didn't Become a Hero, Reluctantly Decided to Find a Job" scanlated by ER.


It is too early to say whether this will be a good manga. I only read one chapter, and if this turn out to be just another shonen ecchi manga, I would end up just drop this from my reading list. Still, I have to say, the concept is VERY interesting. What happened after "the end" of an adventure?

There are, of course, prequels or sequels either in form of movie or another video game that either trying to tie the loose ends to sweeten the original ending, or just to add another adventure to further milk the success of the original game or movie. I haven't seen any, however, that to some degree tries to look at the social condition after the adventure ends.


Maybe I am overtly critical to this as this is supposed to be a "funny" background plot for this new manga, but it does make me think about the entire "adventure genre."
 
If you think about it, the "eternal war" between "human and demon" in the end does help the economy a lot, some sort of a Keynesian stimulus. There are always demands for weapons and armors. There are outlets for restless youths, notably to join the anti-demon crusade, and getting killed in the process, thus maintaining the social order. Of course bad things do happen, such as sacking, pillaging, and whatever else. But if both sides are quite even-matched, this eternal war could be highly profitable with the additional bonus: the ablity to maintain social order regardless how terrible your government is, as ably demonsrated by George Orwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment